8.1.13

when it breaks.

I can point to all the obvious demarcations. 

I took your short words
and the lack of question marks
as a lack of curiosity

does breadth indicate strength? 
strength may not grow from breadth.

though.

I'm not sure my pointing would have realized anything different.
I think we would still be in the same spot. in the same roles. in the same patterns.
as it was, what I couldn't point to.
that I felt lonely sometimes right next to you.
that I felt I needed strong words to convey my meaning.
that our habits didn't seem to align.

I wanted you to support me and my ambitions
as I had tried to do for you.

the point in which you said not again to another full-fledged partnership.
the moment when I realized you knew nothing about my day-to-day life as I felt I knew about yours.

and then I heard you.
I had mistaken breadth for strength.
this exchange we have now, not perfect, stronger than before.

- - -

and when something breaks, its interior shows itself clearly. what was missed when it seemed to be solid is now apparent. perhaps its dents have always been there but hidden by its enchanting gleam.

I don't mean to break you.
I didn't know you thought we had something that could be broken.

No comments: