29.9.11

aaron schleicher

a dear friend of mine composed and recorded a song for me as I was leaving milwaukee two years back. there are days when the warm welcoming arms of people I know and love call me back. the comfort beckons.

it's days like this when aaron's song hits a tender chord in my memory.

here's the link.

- -

the history behind some of the lyrics

the quilt. in milwaukee, a group of us had a literary quilting club - which sounds more formal than it was. our first (and only) attempt at making a quilt involved researching the history of quilts. we found stories of slavery and quilts made of scrap cloth as the only way to keep warm, stories of pioneer women exchanging quilts as a keepsake and reminder of the strength of their friendship, and of modern quilts hung up as a collaboration to raise awareness around AIDS.

when we all agreed to make a quilt piece that was 3x5, I assumed the unit of measurement was inches. it was feet.

the pocket. the group of us at 800ceoread published a book. and I envisioned a clothing series to accompany the book. the series would be t-shirts with customizable giant pockets fit to carry The 100 Best along with you.

the compass. the crew of colleagues and friends bestowed me with a compass as I left milwaukee.

No comments: