21.4.08

bike glory.

Bicycling on my way home from a barbecue on a main thoroughfare. 40 yards in front of me, I spot a policeman on a bicycle. I keep pedaling. Now he's 30 yards away.

25 yards.

I keep waiting for him to turn off. And debate whether passing on bicycles is the same as passing on cars? I mean, it's practically taboo to pass a police car while you're driving. Is it the same on bicycles? If I pass him, perhaps embarrassing him in the process, will he pull me over?

15 yards, now. I'm covering ground quickly. Still waiting.

10 yards.

5 yards.

1 yard. Come on buddy, keep going; a little faster! Now the decision, to pass or not to pass? I slow down as a car passes by.

And here I go! Pedaling fast. Looking straightforward so as not to catch his eye. He watches as I pass. Alas, bicycle cop, left in the dust! No one can stop me now!

As I'm still reveling in my feat 1/2 mile later, a policeman on a motorcycle passes me up.

2 comments:

b said...

ha! This is great!
Think it was the same cop? Trying to prove his coppiness and authority to you?

Kate said...

totally. and his coppiness and authority are now fully appreciated by my bicycling legs. silly bikes with motors.